Eberhard & Co. the Tazio Nuvolari Vanderbilt Cup
THE NEW "NAKED” MODEL
DETERMINATION AND THE SPIRIT OF A WINNER
1936 – Tazio Nuvolari drives his 12-cylinder Alfa Romeo 300 miles to an extraordinary triumph on the Roosevelt Raceway in New York State. Tazio and his Vanderbilt Cup make racing history.
2013 – The exclusive new addition to the Tazio Nuvolari–Vanderbilt Cup cult collection by Eberhard & Co., dedicated to one of the legendary driver’s most prestigious victories, will add a touch of elegance and even greater temperament to one of the house’s most beloved timepieces for sportsmen thanks to the dial with total black look.
A mechanical, self-winding, waterproof chronograph with sapphire crystals, it is the first of the Tazio Nuvolari–Vanderbilt Cup series to have a black dial with white arabic numerals and it offers important technical details inspired by the past but interpreted for our time.
Like the other chronographs of the collection, the timer button is coaxial with the crown, reminiscent of the Eberhard & Co. coaxial chronographs of the 1930s. The watchcase is lighter than in previous versions because there is no back plate, thus the definition NAKED.
More familiar to motor buffs, this term refers to cars without body panels so the details of the motor are visible. In the same way, the naked version of the Vanderbilt Cup movement can be admired through the back sapphire crystal. Nuvolari's autograph is also screenprinted on the back.
The 42 mm diameter of the circular watch case is generous, it is waterproof to 30 metres and it has all the characteristic qualities and exclusive features of the Tazio Nuvolari – Vanderbilt Cup collection by Eberhard & Co. The watch dial is particularly striking, with a design that recalls dashboard instruments of vintage sports cars. The dial is also marked with the legendary driver's initials, TN.
With a superbly refined self-winding movement (30 rubies, blue screws, perlage and Côte de Genève finishing) guaranteeing at least 42 hours of autonomy, the new Eberhard & Co. chronograph has the classic trio of counters for hours, minutes and a second hand sweep; arabic numerals and hands are white.
The black leather wristband has contrasting white top-stitching and a bespoke E&Co. buckle.
Ref. : 31068
- Movement: caliber 13 ¼’’ 8102 – basis ETA 7750
- Mechanical self-winding chronograph, stop push button coaxial to the crown at 3 hours. 28.800 vibrations/hour, non-magnetic, shock-resistant. “Glucydur” balance wheel.
- Finishing: blue movement screws, rubies with gilt round engraving - weight with personalized decoration and Côte de Genève finishing chronograph - bridge with Côte de Genève finishing - other lower bridges perlé
- Case: in steel
- Case diameter: 42,0 mm
- Case thickness: 13,45 mm
- Case bottom: secured by 6 screws, with flat sapphire crystal, polished bevel with Tazio Nuvolari’s autograph engraving
- Dial: black with embossed white-painted Arabic numerals, white large leaf-shaped hands. Tachometer scale.
- 3 large counters for easy reading:
- chronograph hours counter
- chronograph minutes counter
- running seconds counter
- Bezel: polished
- Push button: in steel, round, personalized “TN”
- Crown: water-resistant, in steel, with co-axial pushbutton personalized “E”
- Glass: domed sapphire crystal with antireflective treatment on both sides
- Water resistance: 30 mt
- Strap: in calf leather, with white stitching and personalized “E&C” buckle
- Optional: Déclic® (Registered Design - Patented) deploying clasp
- Bracelet: “Charmant” in steel, with deploying Clasp Déclic® (Registered Design – Patented)