CORUM the Chargé d'Affaires
An alarm to awaken past times
Heritage, the third pillar of the Corum brand alongside Admiral’s Cup and Corum Bridges, unites the historical models forming the wealth of its legacy. First launched in 1956, Chargé d’Affaires returns interpreted in a manner that is more contemporary than ever. This alarm watch will delight devotees of mechanics as well as devotees of the heritage from the past.
Corum does indeed have an extraordinary rich heritage. Since its founding in 1955, the brand has introduced some of the most legendary models in watchmaking history. In 2010, it already gave two emblematic creations a new lease on life: the Golden Tube and the Chinese Hat. The following year, in much the same spirit, it presented a re-edition of the Grand Précis. Now comes the turn of the Chargé d’Affaires model that is the pride of the Vintage collection. Launched in 1956 and featured in the very first Corum catalog, this alarm watch has been re-issued in a virtually identical form, to the delight of all those who revel in aesthetic codes directly inherited from the past.
Endowed with a 46-hour power reserve, this Chargé d’Affaires watch is equipped with an entirely exceptional movement: the very same caliber that once beat at the heart of the original model in 1956. This historical movement has been entirely restored using vintage tools and techniques, while meeting current standards of quality and finishing. This mechanical hand-wound Caliber CO 286 is fitted with two barrels, each with its own winding crown: one to control the hands, and the other the alarm. This arrangement makes it possible, alongside the central hour, minute and seconds hands, to power an alarm sounding for over 12 seconds on a particularly clear note. This mechanical gem is visible through the case-back and reveals the sound bridge engraved with the inscription “1956 – Chargé d’Affaires – 2012”.
The elegantly understated face of this timepiece pays tribute to the aesthetic perfection of historical watches. The silver-toned dial is punctuated by applied hour-markers, while the minute track is delicately transferred, as is the “Chargé d’Affaires” legend. These indications are swept over by dauphine hour and minute hands, and a baton-type seconds hand, while the alarm pointer is easily recognizable thanks to its arrow-shaped red tip. The only slight change from the original model lies in the slightly larger 38 mm-diameter case. The Chargé d’Affaires is issued in a 200-piece limited and numbered edition: 150 in 5N 18K gold fitted with a black alligator leather strap with pin buckle; and 50 in 18K white gold with an identical strap. This alarm watch is water-resistant to 30 meters.
- 286.253.55/0001 BA57 *
- 286.253.59/0001 BA58 **
- Dimension : 38 mm
- Case, back : Screwed in open back cover in 18kt 5N red gold* / 18kt white gold** with glare proof saphire crystal
- Crystal : Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment
- Case, shape : Round
- Case, thickness : 13,50 mm
- Dial, color : Silver-coloured
- Dial, features :
- Black-coloured CORUM logo applied on the dial
- Applied 5N red gold-coated* / rhodium-coated**hour indexes
- Inscribed "Chargé d'Affaires" transferred on the dial
- Dial, material : Brass
- Movement, diameter : 11 1/2'''
- Movement, finish : CORUM logo engraved on the bridge
- Movement, frequency : 2.5 Hz, 18'000 vph
- Movement, functions : Minute, Hour, Second, Alarm
- Movement, jewels : 17
- Movement, power reserve : 46 hours
- Movement, energy : Manuel
- Movement, caliber : CO 286
- Bracelet, color : Black
- Bracelet, material : Crocodile leather
- Buckle : Tongue buckle
- Features : Hour and minute
- Water resistant : 30 meters / 3 ATM