2013/04/02 (Pre-BaselWorld 2013)
Bell & Ross the AVIATION Collection the BR01-92 Heading Indicator
DISC-BASED DISPLAY INSPIRED BY THE HEADING INDICATOR
Bell & Ross designers have borrowed the graphic characteristics of the heading indicator to create an original and innovative display of time.
- The dial comprises three independent concentric discs, graduated for the hours and minutes. The seconds are displayed in the center on a disc, which is not graduated, but features a yellow marker. The hour reading is indicated by the yellow triangle, which appears on the outer hours’ disc. Minutes are read from the middle disc.
- The WES (West, East and South) indications are also displayed on this disc, as on the original instrument, and the N for North indication has been replaced by a yellow triangle marker for reading the hours.
- To allow the markers to stand out against the background, an airplane – identical to the one found on the original instrument – and yellow index marks are engraved under the glass.
- The anti-glare, matt black carbon finish of the case is inspired by the color of an instrumentation panel, designed to make the dials easier to read by eliminating glare.
The BR 01 Heading indicator is highly sophisticated. The technical challenge posed by its design and production required the collaboration of the best watchmaking engineers.
- Since each disc weighs 30 times more than a watch hand, ultra light discs needed to be created in order to not reduce the power reserve nor the accuracy of the watch. Furthermore, each disc needed to be sufficiently resistant so as not to become deformed or risk any friction.
This dual challenge has required the development of specific materials and new techniques.
- As they rotate, an adjustment to the nearest micron ensures that the discs are constantly parallel. The accuracy of the assembly requires all the know-how of master watchmakers.
A. Hour disc - B. Minute disc - C. Second disc
BR 01-92 Heading indicator
- Movement: ETA 2892 mechanical automatic.
- Functions: hours, minutes, seconds.
- 46mm diameter
- Black PVD* steel finish
- Screw-in crown
- Three independent concentric discs, graduated for the hours and minutes
- The seconds are marked out in the center on a disc, which is not graduated, featuring a yellow marker
- The hour reading is indicated by the yellow triangle, which
appears on the outer hours’ disc
- Minutes are read from the middle disc
- Markers: a plane and yellow index marks are engraved under the glass.
- Glass: sapphire crystal with anti-glare coating.
- Water-resistance: 100 meters.
- Straps: rubber and heavy-duty synthetic fabric.
*PVD : Physical Vapor Deposition