Any more organic and it would have a pulse!
The Ressence Type 1 features an automatic winding movement, with indications for hours, minutes, seconds and days of the week. All the time indications appear to be displayed by high contrast hands on subdials. So at first glance, the Ressence Type 1 looks like a fairly normal wristwatch, although one obviously well designed for maximum legibility.
And maximum legibility is the first clue that there is more to the Type 1 than first meets the eye, much more. Nothing seemingly too far out of the ordinary there.
Except that absolutely everything about the Type 1 is extraordinary. There are no hands, there is no crown, nothing is flat and nothing is as it first appears.
And with its softly flowing curves, the Type 1 looks as if it may have organically grown in nature rather than have been engineered in a workshop by man. The face of the Type 1 is constantly changing, just as a human face changes with each passing emotion.
What appear at first glance to be "hands" are in fact markings on orbiting discs, or, more accurately, rotating discs within discs. Each of the hour, second and day indication discs rotates on their own axis, while simultaneously rotating 360° every 60 minutes inside the complete dial which rotates to display the minutes.
That doesn't mean an absence of complex mechanics, just that they are out of sight.
The Ressence Type 1 provides further evidence of Leonardo Da Vinci's adage that "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Rotating 2-dimensional discs within a rotating two-dimensional disc requires a complex module of elaborate gearing in itself – and the mechanism was awarded a patent. However, the Type 1 takes this mechanical complexity and adds to it a layer of esthetical sophistication, through its curves.
The near biological look of the Type 1 is further highlighted by its lugs, which appear to have grown out of the caseband like branches from a tree, rather than have been simply added on as is usual. This effect was achieved by machining them from the same Grade 5 titanium block as the case, rather screwing or soldering them to the case.
With its sumptuous curves, the Type 1 is a timepiece to be held and caressed rather than simply worn.
The top sapphire crystal actually follows the curve of the dial and these curves are both complemented and reinforced by a symmetrically curved sapphire crystal on the back.
The convex back of the Type 1 is designed so that its centre touches the wrist between the bones; coupled with a light weight of just 75 grams, this ensures that the Type 1 is a very comfortable watch to wear.
And in a nice little optical effect, wrapping the sapphire crystal down to the caseband tricks the eye into seeing the watch as even slimmer than it is.
While the caseband is in polished Grade 5 titanium, 80% of the case is sapphire crystal, making the Type 1 one of the most scratch-resistant wristwatches available today.
In keeping with the Ressence philosophy of concealing the mechanics, the automatic winding rotor is not immediately obvious. However, it can be seen turning under the sapphire crystal caseback.
- Patented non-overlapping hours, minutes, seconds and day of the week indications
- Single level rotating disks replacing traditional hands
- Crown-free winding and time setting (patented)
- Convex matt-black dial and display disks
- Radius of convex curve: 125mm
- Indications engraved and filled with white Super-LumiNova, glowing green in the dark
- Sapphire crystal and Grade 5 titanium
- Case and lugs machined from one titanium block
- 42mm diameter x 13mm at highest point in the centre
- Domed sapphire crystals top and bottom with anti-reflective coating on both sides
- Patented system invented and developed by Ressence
- Independent module comprising 18 gears and 28 jewels
- Curved nickel silver dial integrating three eccentric biaxial satellites inclined at 3° and 4,75°
- Automatic winding mechanical movement
- Patented crownless winding and time setting mechanism
- Power reserve: 38 hours
- Balance frequency: 4 Hz/28,800 vph
- No. of components: Total: 208 components; module alone: 107 components