ONE OF 11 –Limited Edition of 11 pieces
“He ran his fingertip along the upper side of the case of his Chapter One Transparence Titanium watch, admiring the profile of its shape. In spite of the hardness of the metal, the touch was soft and smooth. It made him recall the old English car with which his father drove him to Southern Italy during Summer time. He positioned the watch on his wrist and admired the complexity of the movement visible through the transparence of the dial. He continued his way. Everything seemed calm and quiet. Everything was just perfect….”
* * *
Maîtres du Temps, Atelier of Horology, presents in preview of the Baselworld 2014 the Chapter One Tonneau Transparence Titanium: C1-3T.
Barely visible to the naked eye, the sapphire crystal replaces the dial revealing the handiwork of the master watchmaker: impeccably finished bridges, precisely beveled edges, and a symphony of mechanical complexity. The Transparence Titanium, presented here in a limited edition of 11 pieces, unveils the heart and soul of a rare timepiece with an outstanding personality.
Collection Chapter One: elegance and complexity
The Chapter One collection is a real masterpiece of horology. The long and flowing curves that shape the case give it an air of nobility and power that embodies the outstanding complexity of the original movement.
The ease of reading and setting the numerous display indications of Chapter One would almost make the user forget that we are facing a world’s premiere in terms of combinations of complications with 558 components.
A world’s premiere: combinations of six complications
No wristwatch before Chapter One has ever featured a tourbillon movement incorporating a mono-pusher column wheel chronograph, retrograde date, retrograde GMT, and phase of the moon and day of the week indications displayed on their own distinctive high-precision cylinders .
Indication through high-precision cylinders: time display is not flat any longer
Efficiently transmitting power 90° to the two high-precision cylinders and ensuring that they work simultaneously with the time, date, GMT, and chronograph was an immense technical challenge. That the challenge was met and surpassed is further testament to the immense talent of the teams of the Maîtres du Temps Atelier of Horology.
The harmoniously integrated cylinders , for example, had to be both large enough to be easily read and small enough to be ultralight and homogeneous with the case. Scintillating, laser-pierced moon and stars on the outer cylinder of the moon phase indication add to the stellar elegance of Chapter One.
The high-precision cylinders are made of anodized aluminum offering solidity while being lightweight. The painting adorning the cylinders is applied by hand based on a traditional process.
Titanium case: strength and lightness
It is not surprising that the three-dimensional, arched and bold design of the Chapter One evokes more a sports car than a wristwatch.
The different finishes obtained through successive brushings on the titanium material strengthen this appeal. Polished, satin or sanded finish, all the case surfaces benefit from a specific surface treatment. This feat is even more outstanding as the hardness of the material makes any surface treatment a challenge. As a comparison, the decoration of this titanium case requires twice the time of a similar gold version.
The curves of the four correctors integrating a locking system follow a curved line ending in an imaginary spot in order to perfectly marry the elegant design of the case. Manufactured in 18K gold, they incorporate 14 different components and were developed exclusively for Chapter One.
The case back screws are also manufactured of 18K gold.
The Transparence of the sapphire dial
The sapphire dial designed for Transparence is a work of art and an example of the highest level precision engineering. The 0.40 mm, ultrathin high-tech sapphire dial is cut and precisely laser-pierced more than twenty times to provide holes for the anchors to securely fasten the appliqués that mark the passage of time. The fastidious process of machining the multi-beveled minute track, which includes hand-painted Super-LumiNova indices, illustrates that the level of detail in Chapter One Tonneau Transparence Titanium is not just limited to the movement. While the meticulous process of fitting the tourbillon cage to the fine, nearly invisible dial is reserved for only the most accomplished of watchmakers who dare to take on such a complicated assembly, the result is an extremely legible timepiece with a breathtaking view into mechanical mastery.
A look at the dial shows in the center; the hour, minute and chronograph 60 second hand, the retrograde date at 3h, the tourbillon and the day of the week
cylinder at 6h, the retrograde second time zone (GMT) at 9h, the 60 minutes chronograph counter and the moon phase cylinder at 12h.
The opening at 6h allows a unique view onto the superb finish of the tourbillon cage with its finely decorated M shaped cage bridge standing for Maîtres du Temps. The tourbillon cage makes one rotation in sixty seconds showing the motion of the elapsing time
The Chronograph Bridge in precious metal finish
Equally notable is the addition of the precious metal finish chronograph bridge visible through the octagonal sapphire display back. Through a patented plating process, four precious metals belonging to the platinum family—platinum, rhodium, ruthenium, and palladium—combine to give the chronograph bridge the darkened appearance unique to the Chapter One Transparence collection.
* * *
The Chapter One collection is an enduring beacon of ingenuity and architectural form. As sublime as it is complex, the original tonneau case put the industry on notice to a new standard of excellence. The Chapter One Tonneau Transparence Titanium – C1-3T – in a very contemporary design proudly reveals the technical prowess of the collection.
“Maîtres du Temps continues to diversify the Chapter One collection by offering timepieces with sophisticated design and technical mastery. This latest titanium tonneau-case version offers a sculptured structural feel with distinguished technical features,” says Steven Holtzman, founder of Maîtres du Temps.
The One of 11 elegantly engraved at the back of each timepiece highlights the limitation of this exclusive series.
And the story of Chapter One continues . . .
Limited Edition of 11 pieces in Titanium with a transparent sapphire crystal dial
- Laser-etched sapphire dial revealing a manual-wind mechanical movement with hand-beveled cut-out bridges and a precious metal finish Chronograph Bridge.
Movement SHC02.1: one-minute tourbillon, mono-pusher column-wheel chronograph, retrograde date indicator, retrograde GMT indicator, day of the week indication on high-precision cylinder, patented precise moon phase indication on high-precision cylinder.
- Central hands indicating hours and minutes
- Central chronograph counterpoised second hand
- 60-minute counter at 12 o’clock
- Retrograde date at 3 o’clock
- Retrograde GMT at 9 o’clock
- One-minute tourbillon at 6 o’clock
- Day of the week indication on cylinder at 6 o’clock
- Patented precise moon phase indication on cylinder at 12 o’clock
- Two-position winding crown: pushed in to wind the watch; pulled out to set the time
- Chronograph: start/stop/return-to-zero function activated by single pusher in the crown
- Date corrector at 2 o’clock
- Day of the week corrector at 4 o’clock
- Moon phase corrector at 8 o’clock
- GMT corrector at 10 o’clock
- Hand-beveled cut-out bridges
- Black precious metal finishes Chronograph Bridge
- Dimensions: 51 mm x 32 mm
- Number of components: 558
- Number of jewels: 58
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Tourbillon rotation: 60 seconds
- Balance frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Limited edition of 11 pieces in Titanium, each engraved One of 11
- Crown, back case correctors and screws in 18K white gold
- Number of components: 104
- Dimensions: 62.60 mm x 45.90 mm x 18 mm
- Sapphire crystal with double anti-reflective coating
- Display back: sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
- High polish and satin finishes on compound-curve surfaces
- Correctors with integrated locking system
- High-precision, laser-etched sapphire
- Number of components: 5
- Circular grained appliqués
- White Super-LumiNova indices
- Red counterpoised chronograph hand
- Sporty faceted diamond-cut hands
- Luminescent hour and minute hands
- Day barrel: matte finish anodized Anticorodal aluminum
- Moon phase barrel: anodized Anticorodal aluminum with painted moon and stars inside a matte finish anodized cover with laser-pierced moon and stars.
Strap and buckle
- Hand-sewn alligator strap with 18K white gold deployant buckle
Specifications may change without notice.