Precision, Beauty and Tradition
Longines has added a new military-style model to its Heritage line. The Longines Avigation is based on the design of a model produced for the British army during the 1950s. Like the original watch, the movement is fitted with a special device to protect it against the effects of magnetic fields. The black dial – typical of military timepieces – features white and red numerals coated with Super-LumiNova® as well as the particular "broad arrow" sign.
With the Longines Avigation, a model dating from 1949 and produced for the British army has been brought right up to date. The name given to this design – a contraction of "aviation" and "navigation" – refers to a navigation system invented during the 1920s. With precision and excellence as two of its cornerstones, Longines has been involved in the development of many instruments and timepieces that have proved invaluable to pilots.
The circular steel case of this new model has the same diameter as the original one, namely 44 mm. It houses an L704 self-winding, mechanical calibre which shows the hours, minutes, seconds and date, as well as having a second time-scale. As in the 1949 model, the movement is encased in a soft iron plate and dome which protect it from the effects of magnetic fields.
The black dial features large white numerals as well as a 24-hour scale in red. The stick hands on the main dial are rhodium-plated and the lozenge-shaped hand on the second time-scale is red. All the hands are coated with Super-LumiNova®. The upper segment of the dial bears a distinctive sign, namely a broad arrow, used in the United Kingdom to denote government property, including military equipment and therefore the watches used by the British army. The Longines Avigation is fitted on a black alligator strap with a buckle.
Reference number L2.831.4.53.x
- Mechanical self-winding movement
- Caliber L704.2 (ETA A07 171)
- 161/2 lines, 24 jewels, 28'800 vibrations per hours
- Power reserve: 48 hours
- Hours, minutes, seconds, date at 3 o’clock, second time zone
- Circular, Ø 44 mm, steel
- Screw-down case back
- Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with several layers of anti-reflective coating
- Anti-magnetic soft iron protection around the movement
Water-resistant To 3 bar (30 meters)
- Black lacquered and polished, 11 Arabic numerals, with Super-LumiNova®, red 24 hours scale
- Rhodium-plated, skeleton baton hands with Super-LumiNova®
- Red 24-hour diamond-shaped skeleton hand, with Super-LumiNova®
- Black alligator with buckle