30 years of the pilot’s chronograph
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of its flagship Chronomat model, Breitling is launching a special series with a resolutely technical and professional look. It encapsulates the entire spirit of this legendary chronograph that has become a reference in the field of pilot’s instruments.
In the early 1980s, Ernest Schneider – to whom Willy Breitling had just sold his firm – learned that the Frecce Tricolori, the Italian airforce aerobatics team, had issued a bid for tender on their first official watch. He accordingly decided to create a brand-new aviation chronograph specifically designed for pilots’ needs. This instrument was developed in close cooperation with the squadron. All details of the construction and exterior were designed to meet the demands of aviation professionals – be it the sturdiness of the case, the profile of the lugs, the readability of the dial and the ergonomic shape of the pushpieces and crown. Won over by this ultra-functional, avant-garde and elegant chronograph, the Italian flying aces voted in its favor and the official Frecce Tricolori watch was launched in 1983.
You do not have access to view this Atom.
- Manufacture Breitling Caliber 01, officially chronometer-certified by the COSC, selfwinding, high-frequency (28,800 vibrations), 47 jewels
- Over 70-hour power reserve
- 1/4th of a second chronograph, 30-minute and 12-hour totalizers
- Water-resistant to 300 m/1,000 ft (version 41) and 500m/1,650 ft (version 44)
- Screw-locked crown and pushpieces
- Unidirectional ratcheted rotating bezel
- Cambered sapphire crystal, glareproofed on both sides
- Diameters: 41 or 44 mm
- Onyx black or Sierra silver