AS WELL AS BEING THE YEAR OF THE OFFSHORE, 2014 IS ALSO NOTABLE FOR THE BOLD USE OF WHITE CERAMIC AT AUDEMARS PIGUET.
Not only is there the pre-launched Royal Oak Concept GMT Tourbillon with titanium case middle and white-ceramic bezel, pushers, crown and movement bridge (see ‘Savoir-Faire’ press kit), but the Manufacture is also expanding its formidable Royal Oak Offshore Diver collection with a dazzling specimen, positively glowing white with the ultra-hard composite material, even from the depths of the ocean.
It perfectly complements the Royal Oak Offshore Diver range, which is water-resistant to 300m and protected by an anti-magnetic inner case
It perfectly complements the Royal Oak Offshore Diver range, which is water-resistant to 300m and protected by an anti-magnetic inner case. The model’s distinctive case-back screws, intermediate bolts and hexagonal screws secure the case as securely as a submarine hatch. The Diver is equipped with a time pre-selection device (NIHS 92-11 norm) and otherwise available in steel or in an even more sophisticated black on black ceramic version.
This year’s use of white Super Ceramics means the new Diver’s bezel, case middle, pushers and crown are 40% more resistant to scratches than if black ceramic had been used (1850 Vickers vs. 1300 Vickers hardness). In fact, white ceramics are 9 times harder than steel, meaning the manufacture of these components is a particularly complex and lengthy process.
For example, it takes around 12 hours to make the case middle, compared with 1 ½ hours if it were in steel; 8 hours to make the bezel, compared with 45 minutes if it were in steel. The upshot is that the new Royal Oak Offshore Diver is almost totally scratchproof, meaning in turn that the octagonal bezel’s trademark satin-brushing and polishing finishes are particularly difficult!
The inner bezel is rotated by a unidirectional ratcheted mechanism linked to a crown at 10 o’clock. This mechanism reinforces the technical nature of the model while preserving the legendary aesthetic of the octagon. Once the crown is screwed in again, there is no risk of inadvertently modifying the dive time. The case protects the internal rotation mechanism from any form of external aggression.
- Self-wound manufacture Calibre 3120
- Total diameter 26.6 mm (11¾ lines)
- Total Thickness 4.26 mm
- Number of jewels 40
- Number of parts 280
- Minimal guaranteed power reserve >60 h
- Frequency of balance wheel 3Hz (21,600 vibrations/hour)
- White ceramic case, glareproofed sapphire crystal, titanium glareproofed sapphire crystal caseback, white ceramic bezel and screw-locked crown, titanium links, water-resistant to 300 m
- Total diameter : 42 mm
- Light silver-toned dial with ‘‘Méga Tapisserie’’ pattern, white gold applied hour-markers and Royal Oak hands with luminescent coating (blue minutes hand), light silver-toned rotating inner bezel with diving scale and zone from 60 to 15 minutes in blue
- White rubber strap with titanium pin buckle
- Dive-time measurement
- Centre seconds