Arnold & Son is proud to announce that the Instrument CTB won the Watch of the Year 2014 Baselworld Gold Award
The publication Watch Critics recently awarded the Arnold & Son Instrument CTB for its Watch of the Year 2014 Baselworld Gold Award. Founded in 1999, Watch Critics is a well-known bimonthly Chinese magazine that provides collectors, connoisseurs and industry insiders with up-to-the-minute market analysis and watch news.
The inspiration for the all-new CTB in-house movement came from the timepieces produced during the second half of John Arnold’s life when he and his son John Roger focused on their quest to produce a chronometer that met Royal Navy specifications. The fabulous CTB is the brand’s second chronograph but, with its central true beat seconds hand, also a world-first, combining the complication that is the hallmark of the Instrument collection with outstanding legibility. It was achieved by positioning a central true beat seconds hand and a central chronograph seconds hand on the same axis but with different jumping intervals – a phenomenal invention that is protected by two patents. The visual effect of seeing the two hands progress at their own separate pace is entrancing. The chronograph seconds hand advances at a rate of eight beats per second and always looks as if it is about to catch up with the true beat seconds hand, but this never actually happens because the true beat seconds leaps forward again just in time.
Based on the in-house A&S7103 calibre, the automatic movement features a column- wheel operated chronograph and is configured to give optimum balance to the dial, with off-centre hour and minutes at 12 o’clock and a 60-minute chronograph counter at 6 o’clock. Haute horlogerie finishing with hand-chamfered bridges and edges, circular graining and Côtes de Genève rayonnantes are combined with a brushed and skeletonized rotor, bevelled and mirror-polished screw heads and a light-grey or silvery-white and opaline dial in a timepiece that offers breathtaking depth and dimensions.
- Exclusive Arnold & Son mechanical movement, self-winding, column- wheel, ceramic ball bearing, 31 jewels, diameter 30.4 mm, thickness 8.2 mm, power reserve 50 h (without chronograph), 28,800 vibrations/h
- hours, minutes, true beat seconds, chronograph
- palladium treated with Haute Horlogerie finishing: hand-chamfered bridges with polished edges, fine circular graining and Côtes de Genève rayonnantes, circular satin-finished wheels, blued screws with bevelled and mirror-polished heads.
- Oscillating weight: skeletonised with brushed surfaces
- NAC grey treated with Haute Horlogerie finishing: hand-chamfered bridges with polished edges, fine circular graining and Côtes de Genève rayonnantes, circular satin-finished wheels, screws with bevelled and mirror-polished heads.
- scillating weight: skeletonised with brushed surfaces
- silvery-white and silvery opaline or light-grey and silvery opaline
- 18-carat red gold or stainless steel, diameter 44 mm, cambered sapphire with anti-reflective coating on both sides, see-through sapphire case back, water-resistant to 30 m
- Hand-stitched black or brown alligator leather
- 1CHAR.S01A.C120A, 18-carat red gold case
- 1CHAS.S02A.C121S, stainless steel case